If you are on a Mac, you can obviously use XCode’s IOS simulator which is simply awesome. On Windows you can download Visual Studio Express edition for mobile development and that ships a Windows phone emulator.
But there is another solution which is best of both worlds. Enter Ripple (download link), a Chrome extension which nice emulates a mobile device. I am in love with it because not only does it let me see how my website will look on a mobile device but it gives me the awesome development power provided by Chrome and its debugging tools. In summary here are the benefits of Ripple
- View your site in a variety of mobile devices Android, IOS, Windows Phone, Palm etc
- Use Chrome’s uber powerful tools to do your development
- Fake GPS/location services. Ripple even lets you simulate as if you are driving around!
- Test your site on landscape/portrait orientation
- Simulate accelerometer events.
My personal thanks to the developers of Ripple !